General Attorney - Federal Trade Commission
As a General Attorney (Trade Regulation), you will:
- Make initial determinations as to whether matters should be investigated.
-Determine legal theories and plans for investigations and litigation and carry them out.
- Recommend whether cases should be closed, resolved informally or through administrative or federal court settlements, or litigated administratively or in federal court.
- Investigate matters, including deceptive acts and practices related to COVID-19, and engage in all aspects of civil litigation, including preparing cases for trial by securing and preparing evidence; conferring with witnesses; deposing witnesses; drafting motions and legal briefs; drafting and responding to discovery requests; participating in pretrial conferences; examining and cross-examining witnesses; trying cases; and negotiating settlements.
- Prepare and prosecute difficult, complex, and important cases.
- Confer with government agencies, public authorities and attorneys, business people and other members of the public, providing them with information on matters of law, Commission procedure and policy.
-In FTC Regional Offices, build state and local partnerships, and educate consumers and businesses about their rights and responsibilities.
Applicants must have attained the first professional law degree (LL.B. or J.D.) from an accredited law school and be an active member in good standing of the bar of a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or a U.S. territory. Applicants to the FTC's Los Angeles office must be a member in good standing of the California bar. Applicants must demonstrate excellent writing skills and be able to work effectively with other people, exercise sound judgment, and exhibit a strong interest in the work of the agency.
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter - REQUIRED
- Writing Sample - REQUIRED
- Graduate Transcript(s), if the position has an education requirement - REQUIRED
- Veterans' Preference documentation, if applicable (e.g., DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service, SF- 15 Form and related documentation, VA letter, etc.) Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)
Additional information and instructions can be found by clicking the link below.